Eggless Christmas Rum Fruit Cake
Eggless Christmas Rum Fruit Cake – Rich boozy Christmas cake prepared soaking raisins, dry fruits and nuts in rum and baked to perfection. Perfect for the festive day!
I have soaked cashews, almonds, raisins, dried cranberries, dried blackberries, figs, dates, and walnuts in Rum before a week. I have been thinking for so long to prepare a rich boozy Christmas cake for so long. Now, before the Sun goes down, I prepared this delicious cake for the Christmas evening. I adapted the recipe from VegRecipesOfIndia. I have loaded the cake with lots of nuts and dried fruits, reduced the sugar amount and prepared with whole wheat flour. But, you can follow the original recipe from the reference site.
- 3 cups – mixture of chopped Almonds, Cashews, Walnuts, Dried Figs, Dried Cranberries, Dried blackberries, dates, raisins, and pistachios
- ¾ cup Rum ( I used Baking Rum – Myer’s Rum – Original Dark)
- 1 ½ cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 ¼ cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoon All Spice Powder
- 3 – 4 tablespoon Candied Orange Peel
- 3 – 4 tablespoon Candied Ginger Peel
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Soaking Nuts and Raisins:
- In a clean mason jar, add the mixture of nuts and rum.
- The jar should be big enough to hold double the amount of nuts and raisins, as the nuts increase in size once it is soaked in the Rum
- Place the jar in the cool dry place. Do not store in the refrigerator. Place the jar on the shelf.
- The mixture can be soaked for about 3 months before Christmas. I soaked it for about a week.
- Don’t forget to shake the jar every day, so that the rum won’t settle down at the bottom and nuts will be soaked evenly.
For the Cake Batter:
- Preheat the oven to 250F
- Grease the 9-inch cake pan with baking spray or butter
- In a large bowl, add all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, sugar, allspice powder, baking powder and combine them together.
- In another bowl, whisk together the butter, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar and milk until the butter becomes fluffy.
- Now add ¾th of the soaked dry fruits mixture, candied orange peel and candied ginger peel to the dry ingredients.
- Mix them well.
- Add wet ingredients to the flour and mix them, until they are blended together evenly
- Pour the cake batter into the greased pan. Scatter the remaining soaked fruits over the top
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for about an hour to 70 minutes, until the toothpick inserted in the center of the pan comes out clean and the cake is evenly baked.
- Let the cake be in the pan for about 10 minutes. Run the knife along the edges of the pan. Flip the cake pan to a plate.
- Allow the cake to cool down completely
- Serve Christmas Rum Fruit Cake with a glass of wine
- Store the cake in the airtight container.
You can use orange juice instead of Rum. If using orange juice, soak the fruits the previous night of baking the cake.
The cake has a very good shelf life. Treat the cake with rum every day to make it more rich and delicious.