Rasawala Bateta Nu Shaak | Potatoes in Gujarati Spices
Rasawala Bateta Nu Shaak – Simple Gujarati delicacy prepared with cubed potatoes and cooked with Gujarati spices.
I am in love with the Gujarati Cusine and amazed how the simple ingredients available in everyone’s kitchen cabinet transforms when combined with a simple ingredient makes it the exotic recipe in terms of its flavor and taste, like this rasawala bateta nu shaak. The very common and humble potato combined with the common spices like ginger, green chili, ginger, coriander powder and cumin seeds powder creates an exotic delicacy without which a Gujarati Thali in incomplete. It’s spicy, flavorful, simple yet delicious and perfect accompaniment for roti and rice.
Recipe adapted from the cookbook – Gujarati Cookbook by Tarla Dalal.
- 2 cups peeled Potato, cubed
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- A pinch of Asafoetida
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 1 tablespoon Coriander-Cumin Seeds Powder
- ½ teaspoon Ginger-Green Chilli Paste
- 2 tablespoon Sugar
- Salt, as required
- Heat a non-stick kadai over a medium flame.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let it sizzle.
- When the seeds splutter, add asafoetida, turmeric powder, chili powder, ginger-green chili paste, coriander-cumin seeds powder and fry for few seconds. Combine them well.
- Now, add the cubed potatoes and add 2 cups of water. Mix them well.
- Sprinkle salt and sugar over potatoes. Stir occasionally.
- Cover with a lid and cook over medium flame until potatoes are cooked.
- Serve hot with roti, puris or rice.